A FEW BASIC CIGAR TRUTHS …
Mastering the art of cigar smoking entails some basics, the first of which is determining what it is that you really like.
This is such an individualistic choice that the recommendations of other cigar smokers may not aid you in making your choice. It’s best to try the different shapes, sizes, brands and colors to get an idea of what you like. From that point, you can narrow it down to a few favorites . . . or an entire Preferred List!
Some absolute truths you can always trust:
• The most popular selling cigars world-wide are the premiums, and they are entirely hand-made, not machine-made.
• Dominican-made cigars are generally mild; Hondurans tend to be bigger bodied and just slightly spicier; smokes from Nicaragua are usually the sweetest.
• The darker the color of the cigar, the stronger the taste. The lighter the color of the outer wrapper, the milder the smoke will be on your palate.
• The wrapper should feel springy, yet firm, with no signs of damage or of coming unraveled. There should be no hard spots. The cigar should be well rounded, with an oily sheen.
• A good cigar will burn evenly and have a good, steady draw. A thin black rim should form around the white ash.
Nearly all cigar smokers agree that at least one of these four words aptly describes their favorite cigars:
Take a Close Look at this Month’s Cigar Selections . . .
Featured Countries of Origin from your
Favorite Cigar of the Month Club:
HONDURAS & NICARAGUA
SN# 31241: GRAYCLIFF PLATINUM SERIES PG 15 / $180.00
Nationality: Honduran Appearance: MEDIUM-FULL bodied, 5.2; 50 ring; In a leather Ecuadorian Habano Sun-Grown Wrap
Personality: Fragrant and sweet, this smoke glistens on the outside. Inside, she’s spicy, peppery; naturally woodsy and earthy.
SN# 31242: PUNCH ROTHSCHILD 20 / $75.00
Nationality: Honduran Appearance: FULL bodied, 4.5; 50 ring; Dressed to the 9′s in handsomely dark wrapper leaves
Personality: This delicious Punch is a world-class lady, superbly constructed. She has excellent taste, but isn’t overpowering.
SN# 31243: PALO PRIETO GORDO 20 / $100.00
Nationality: Nicaraguan Appearance: MEDIUM-FULL bodied, 6.0; 60 ring; In a flawless Ecuadorian Habano wrapper
Personality: A fine specimen from Nicaragua, this smoke is a standout, rich and creamy, but fiesty with leather and spice.
SN# 31244: ESPINOSA PROXY NO. 24 TORPEDO 20 / $65.00
Nationality: Nicaraguan Appearance: MEDIUM bodied, 6.1; 52 ring; Wrapper is a sleek, blemish-free Ecuadorian Habano
Personality: Peek under the covers! She’s everything you want: lively with pepper and spice, but earthy, and cedar sweet.
SN# 31245: EL MEJOR ESPRESSO GORDO 20 / $50.00
Nationality: Nicaraguan Appearance: MEDIUM bodied, 4.5; 60 ring; Gift wrapped in a coal-black Mexican maduro wrap
Personality: A box-pressed satisfying beauty, she’s rich and creamy with hints of cocoa and coffee. Burns slowly, deliberately.