A well-dressed cigar is as alluring as a well-dressed woman, and it tells you a lot about what she has to offer. If the outer wrapper feels “springy” to the touch and seems to be intact with no unraveling, then you know she’s fresh and was properly humidor-stored. If the major veins of the leaf run parallel along the entire length of the cigar, and is firm without being hard in spots, she was well-handled by the Torcedor (“The one who twists”), and is of good quality. An oily sheen indicates the tobacco was properly cured. Check out the glam wraps on this month’s 31436, 31437 and 31439 selections, and you’ll know what I’m talkin’ about!
— — Instant Box-Pressed Replay — —
Once again your favorite Cigar of the Month Club got such great response, we are doing it one more time! As you enjoy your 601 Blue Box-Pressed Maduro Robusto cigar,s you may recall that the shape came to be as exporters struggled to keep packing, storage and shipping costs down. The cigars naturally conformed to the square shape of the tightly confining boxes in which they were packed. Today, square cigars are known to usually burn a bit longer, with a somewhat stronger taste and aroma.
So, Where Are YOU From?
Don’t weigh what you say, but be careful of how you say it! Linguistic experts have determined that how we pronounce some words is actually a regional thing. For instance, about 85% of people in the United States say “car-mel”. Skirting the eastern seaboard and angling into Texas, they say “car-a-mel.” Don’t say it. Just smoke it! (It flavors this month’s selection from Man O’ War!)
Take a Close Look at this Month’s Cigar Selections . . . Featured Countries of Origin from your Favorite Cigar of the Month Club: THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, HONDURAS & NICARAGUA
1) CUBAN ARISTOCRAT CHURCHILL – Nationality: Dominican Appearance: MEDIUM bodied, 7.0; 50 ring; Sleek, in a slightly oily Habano wrapper. Personality: A favorite of cigar enthusiasts, this big girl offers lots of stuff to like in this Cuban Aristocrat Habano. You’ll appreciate her natural sweetness and chocolate undertones, with just the right bit of pepper spice to hold your interest.
2) 601 BLUE BOX-PRESSED MADURO ROBUSTO — 93-RATED! -Nationality: Nicaraguan Appearance: MEDIUM-FULL bodied, 5.2; 52 ring; In a glistening, dark toothy Nicaraguan Maduro wrap. Personality: With a toothy exterior texture, inside you’ll find the happily married duo of robust blended aged Cuban-seed long-leaf tobaccos and a rich profile layered with satisfaction. Expect the classic combo of earth, coffee and spice on the finish.
3) H. UPMANN THE BANKER ANNUITY — 91 RATED! -Nationality: Dominican Appearance: MEDIUM bodied, 6.0; 52 ring; Swathed in a super-dark Ecuadorian Habano wrapper. Personality: This one is filled to the gills with vintage long-filler leaves. She’s spicy enough to keep you on your toes without overwhelming you. Enjoy her distinctly creamy texture with solid, earthy notes that are out of this world.
4) MAN O’WAR DAMNATION TORO -Nationality: Nicaraguan Appearance: MEDIUM-FULL bodied, 6.0; 52 ring; In a pristine oily dark CT Broadleaf Maduro wrapper. Personality: She makes her presence known from the get-go, as her dark chocolate wrapper leaf hugs a potent mix of vintage long-fillers. Damnation houses a robust profile with ample spice, and heavy nuances of chocolate, oak, caramel and leather.
5) GILBERTO OLIVA RESERVA BLANC ROBUSTO – Nationality: Honduran Appearance: MEDIUM bodied, 5.0; 50 ring; Coated by a golden brown Ecuadorian CT wrapper. Personality: A mellow gem, her expert construction will please you in every possible way. Loaded with creamy flavors, take note of her hints of cedar, accompanied by a long, enjoyable finish that will linger with you long after she’s gone.