cigars are a part of history
Clubs of America | Sep 14, 2016
Be It Cowboys, Cubans, Criminals or Haute Couture, Cigars Are A Part Of History
• I am hard pressed to remember a single John Wayne Western that didn’t show him with a cigar either clenched in his fist or between his teeth. The actor (1907 – 1979) requested special cigars be made, larger than any standard size, for use in every one of his movies.
• José Marti, the Cuban revolutionary and writer, lived in New York City from 1881 to 1895. While there, he sent plans for the Cuban rebellion against Spain from Key West to Havana via hand-written messages camouflaged as cigar wrappers. This clandestine correspondence enabled him to return and liberate his beloved Cuba from Spanish rule.
• Throughout history, prisoners about to be executed have been granted a last request (not including the request to skip the execution). A marshal in Napoleon’s Army, Michel Ney, is perhaps the first person to have his request (not for the usual meal, but for a cigar) officially recorded. He was executed for treason in 1815, after enjoying his final puff off that cigar. (Bet he requested a Double Corona. At 7.5″, it takes at least an hour to smoke.)
• We have the French to thank for the tuxedo. Their shawl-collared silk smoking jacket evolved into our present-day tuxedo, the garment of choice for so many attending weddings and elite formal functions. Fashion-forward Frenchmen still refer to their tuxedo by its original name, le smoking.
Take a Close Look at this Month’s Cigar Selections . . . Featured Countries of Origin from your Favorite Cigar of the Month Club: NICARAGUA and THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
1) ROCKY PATEL CONNECTICUT CHURCHILL – Nationality: Nicaraguan Appearance: MILD bodied, 7.0; 48 ring; In an exquisite 7-year-old Connecticut Shade wrap
Personality: Proud of her award-winning mix of 8-year-old long-leaf ligeros, she also boasts a hearty, slightly spicy persona. You’ll find this big girl offers creamy notes of earthiness and toasted wood. Why not share time with her next to your campfire?
2) COHIBA PURO DOMINICANA CORONA – Nationality: Dominican Appearance: FULL bodied, 5.5; 42 ring; Encased in an oily Dominican natural wrapper
Personality: A 100% Puro, she was blended oaky and bold, providing you with a full-flavored profile that’s purely Cohiba — robust, eventful, smooth and well balanced. Patiently aged in charcoaled wooden barrels, she’ll satisfy all your craving for spice.
3) DIESEL RAGE TORPEDO – Nationality: Nicaraguan Appearance: MEDIUM-FULL bodied, 5.0; 56 ring; In Ecuadorian Habano Sun Grown Oscuro leaf
Personality: Ultra-dark on the outside, inside she’s perfectly rounded with Cuban seed long-fillers. With her inside and outside in perfect 100% sync, she delivers a sensory overload of complex flavors of earth, vanilla, coffee, spices and cedar.
4) DONA NIEVES NEGRA MACHA BOX-PRESSED – Nationality: Nicaraguan Appearance: FULL bodied, 5.5; 54 ring; Sporting a fine Ecuadorian Habano wrapper
Personality: Heavy in your hand, she’s loaded with potent choice tobaccos. Light her up and expect a blast of pepper, softened by cream, chocolate, fruit and baking spices. Intensely flavorful, she’s at medium intensity before reaching her crescendo.
5) RAMONES BY CAMACHO CONNECTICUT CHURCHILL – Nationality: Dominican Appearance: MILD-MEDIUM bodied, 7.5; 50 ring; A stunner in a flawless Ecuadorian CT wrapper
Personality: This larger than life lady, the biggest of the bunch this month, delivers a smooth and tasty experience. Her naturally sweet binder balances the creamy spiciness of her perfectly blended Dominican, Honduran and Nicaraguan long-fillers.