estampa estate — viognier-chardonnay (vintage 2015, white)
Clubs of America | Nov 04, 2016
Country: Chile Region: Colchagua Valley Grapes: Viognier and Chardonnay
The Colchagua Valley is in Chile’s mountainous Central Region, between the Andes and the Coastal ranges, which form a basin and create a corridor for the winds that alternately blow from the Pacific Ocean and the Andes. These geographical features contribute to a Mediterranean climate encouraging a slow and optimal grape ripening season. Absence of rain during the harvest allows for each variety to reach optimum maturity before the harvest. Soil types vary greatly.
Estampa is owned by the González-Ortiz family who built the first winery in Chile dedicated to Assemblage wines. (Assemblage is the blending of several wines, generally from different grape varieties and independently vinified.) In this recipe, 85% Viognier, a full-bodied white wine, contributes a lush, soft character. The remaining 15% is Chardonnay, which, in contrast to the Viognier, has less natural aromatics. You can thank the Viognier for the notes of peach, pears, violets and minerality. The blend of the two grapes produces a bright, clear yellow wine with golden hues.
The aroma is delightful with floral aromas interwoven with notes of fresh apricots. Fresh citric notes of lime and pink grapefruit are joined by a hint of herbs reminiscent of tomato leaf. The palate is round, juicy and refreshing. The finish is long and lingering. Enjoy it now, chilled, as an aperitif with canapés or with most sea food dishes, including oysters.
Estampa Estate Viognier-Chardonnay:
VIOGNIER GRAPES — This is a full-bodied white French wine grape, grown also in North and South America, Chile, Australia and New Zealand. Rich in natural aromas, climate where grapes are grown drives its personality. Known for lush, soft characteristics.
CHARDONNAY GRAPES — The world’s greatest dry white grape, it has a split personality, with fruity flavors and aromas that mimic where the grapes are grown.