impeccably dressed . . .
Clubs of America | May 21, 2017
A flawless wrapper leaf is key to creating the ideal “public face” for every cigar. The best are large enough to comfortably cover the cigar in its entirety, will be absolutely damage- and blemish-free, and silky soft.
Seed strains that grow filler leaves are inadequate, so tobacco growers have developed strains specifically for use as wrappers. Different parts of the world contribute, but two are standouts: the Connecticut Shade and the Corojo from our state of Connecticut and Cuba, respectively.
Nearly all wrapper leaves are grown under muslin tents (called “shade growing” or “tapado.” The leaves are sheltered from direct sun light, enabling them to grow large, silky, and damage free.
It is extremely difficult to grow a perfect leaf, as any damage or stain suffered during any stage of growth renders it useless as a wrapper. Understandably, wrappers are the most expensive part of any cigar.
Harvested in stages, gentle removal of the bottom leaves is done first. However, the leaves from the middle two-thirds of the plant are the appropriate size, texture and shape for use as wrappers, and are the only ones sold for that purpose.
After harvesting, they are processed similarly to filler leaves – cured, fermented and aged. But they then undergo an exacting grading and selection process. Before arriving at the roller’s bench, the central vein is removed, effectively cutting each leaf into two perfectly perfect halves. We take great pride in the wrapper leaves our suppliers use, which explains why we include the leaf description for each selection.
Instant Box-Pressed Replay
Your favorite Cigar of the Month Club got such a great response, we are doing it again! As you enjoy your Gurkha Class Regent Box-Pressed Churchill cigar, you may recall that the shape came to be as exporters struggled to keep packing, storage and shipping costs down. The cigars naturally conformed to the square shape of the tightly confining boxes in which they were packed. Today, square cigars are known to usually burn a bit longer, with a somewhat stronger taste and aroma.
Take a Close Look at this Month’s Cigar Selections . . . Featured Countries of Origin from your Favorite Cigar of the Month Club: NICARAGUA, HONDURAS & THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
1) DIESEL GRIND ROBUSTO – Nationality: Nicaraguan Appearance: FULL bodied, 5.0; 54 ring; Featuring an Ecuador Habano Sun-Grown wrapper. Personality: This savory cigar delivers a bold, hearty experience that’s both powerful and elegant. This manly-sounding but exquisitely smooth smoke dishes out notes of earth, cedar and coffee, and enough spice to keep you interested til the end.
2) ROYAL DANISH EXTRA STRONG DOUBLE LIGERO TORPEDO – Nationality: Nicaraguan Appearance: FULL bodied, 5.0; 52 ring; Handmade, she’s wrapped in a gorgeous Habano leaf. Personality: Complex and packed to the gills with Nicaraguan ligero filler, this beauty has a natural, earthy aroma. When you light her up, you’ll be greeted with warm notes of leather, spice, earth and tobacco that highlight her toasty profile.
3) SAN LOTANO CONNECTICUT TORO – Nationality: Nicaraguan Appearance: MILD-MEDIUM bodied, 6.0; 50 ring; Draped in a velvety Ecuadorian CT Shade wrapper. Personality: This lovely wants to please, brimming with ample flavor and complexity. She’s elegant, refined and highly enjoyable. Her rich Honduran binder will hug you tight, so expect notes of cream, nuts, wood, and a buttery-smooth finish.
4) GURKHA CLASS REGENT BOX-PRESSED CHURCHILL – Nationality: Honduran Appearance: MEDIUM bodied, 7.25; 52 ring; In a redolent, silky dark Honduran Habano 2000 wrap. Personality: A big beauty with a milky-smooth way about her. Beneath her velvet wrap awaits a bevy of Nicaraguan and Dominican long-fillers, perfectly complementing one another. She delivers a melting pot of toast, leather, cedar and chocolate.
5) BOSS CLASSIC ROBUSTO – Nationality: Dominican Appearance: MEDIUM bodied, 5.0; 52 ring; Find her personality beneath her Brazilian wrap. Personality: Featuring a blend of Peruvian, Nicaraguan and Dominican long-fillers, The Boss has a softer side! She greets you with flavors of coffee, dried fruit, and wood, delivering a well-balanced and complex smoking experience.