quotes from historical figures with cigars in hand
Clubs of America | Aug 28, 2015
Throughout history, the hands of the powerful and famous have repeatedly reached for cigars, seeking the comfort and enjoyment cigars provide.
King Edward VII smoked cigars, ignoring the negative comments from his mother, Queen Victoria. At a dinner after the death of the Queen, legend has it that he uttered, “Gentlemen, you may [now] smoke.” The inexpensive American cigar called “King Edward” honors his loyalty to the smoke.
Franz Liszt, classical pianist and composer of yesteryear, was quoted, “A good Cuban cigar closes the door to the vulgarities of the world.”
“The cigar is a perfect complement to an elegant life-style,” is a quote attributed to writer George Sand of the Victorian Era.
In his poem “The Betrothed,” Rudyard Kipling wrote, “. . . And a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.” (How romantic!!)
President Ulysses S. Grant, psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud, statesman Winston Churchill, Cuba’s Fidel Castro and Che Guevara, Groucho Marx, George Burns, Mark Twain, Jack Benny, Milton Berle, Rush Limbaugh, Ernie Kovacs and many others have chosen to smoke cigars rather than talk about them . . .
1) COHIBA NICARAGUA – Nationality Nicaraguan Appearance: MEDIUM-FULL bodied, 5.0; 50 ring; In a Sun Grown Colorado Oscuro wrapper
Personality: The first Cohiba cigar from the fertile soils of Nicaragua, she’s hugged by a beautiful milk chocolate wrapper. Inside, she offers complex notes of cedar, leather and pepper. You’ll frantically search for another as soon as you see the nub is in reach!
2) ALEC BRADLEY COYOL ROBUSTO – Nationality: Honduran Appearance: MEDIUM bodied, 5.0; 53 ring; Decked out in a classy Honduran wrapper
Personality: If you like the classic retro-feel that’s bold and complex, this one-of-a-kind tasting smoke is what you’ve been seeking. It’s bold, with notes of earth, leather and spice; yet is subtly sweet with notes of cherry and nutmeg. Perfection!
3) VEGAS CASK STRENGTH TORO – Nationality: Nicaraguan Appearance: FULL bodied, 6.0; 52 ring; In a stunning dark and oily reddish-hued Corojo wrapper
Personality: This box-pressed smoke will captivate you from the get-go with her feisty bouquet. Beneath her exquisite cloak she boldly offers tons of oak, cedar, earth and toast. Spicy throughout, expect a flavor crescendo as you approach the nub.
4) PIRATE’S GOLD NATURAL CHURCHILL – Nationality Honduran Appearance: MEDIUM bodied, 7.25; 50 ring; Draped in a beautiful Ecuadorian wrapper
Personality: This girl next door smoke compares favorably to the much pricier smokes. She’s densely-packed – handmade, boasting a complex recipe of slow-burn longfillers. She’ll serve you tasty layers of earth, coffee, pepper and spice.
5) NICARAGUAN CREAM TORPEDO – Nationality: Nicaraguan Appearance: MEDIUM-FULL bodied, 6.5; 52 ring; Dressed in a smooth Cuban-seed Habano wrap
Personality: Smooth, robust and affordable, this lady is what she is — the bearer of consistently enjoyable, long-lasting flavor.